Position: Sr. Systems Engineer
Ref. Code: IIS/AC-C/IN-GD/SSE1122
- Configure, deploy, troubleshoot and provide ongoing operations and maintenance support for client and Client’s infrastructures (OS: e.g., Windows, Linux, VMware): primarily post-implementation support. Work as part of a 24/7 team to ensure secure and stable environment and to keep operations running smoothly and effectively for customers. Serve as escalation for Systems Engineer I and II and provide coaching for team.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Monitor emails for incoming issues, updates on issues, or questions from customers/colleagues.
- Monitor ticket management system (including incoming tickets and ticket updates).
- Advise and provide information to team regarding tickets in queue.
- Issue and Incident Management Accountabilities.
- Manage escalated/assigned/selected tickets to ensure SLA compliance and customer
- satisfaction (juggling multiple tickets as necessary); respond quickly/effectively to issues and take responsibility for seeing through to complete resolution.
- Manage complex issues escalated from less experienced engineers or major incidents with little or no guidance.
- Prioritize tickets based on severity/urgency, breadth of impact, time in queue, and specific customer, providing guidance to others on priorities and what constitutes a major issue.
- Deliver customer-focused support via phone calls and ticket-based communications.
- Update tickets.
- Follow up on assigned/selected tickets/issues that remain open, intervening as needed to direct/guide less experienced engineers.
- Route issues to appropriate group outside of Systems as needed with high degree of mastery with cross-functional or vendor escalations.
- Diagnose, trouble shoot and resolve external customer and Systems issues.
- Research issues using multiple sources as needed; resources include:
- Ticket history, internet research (e.g., Google), vendor documentation, internal documentation (Knowledge Base articles, Service Now, Wiki, SharePoint), books, web resources (skype groups, on- line forums, etc.), advanced courses, or vendor provided training, etc.
- Immediate team colleagues, tech leads, colleagues in other (engineering and non-engineering) areas, vendors, managers, external network and/or customers.
- Follow standard ITIL practices to do the following (demonstrating orderly triaging and mastery of OSI.
- Identify severity/urgency of issue (discovery).
- Identify core issue.
- Identify potential solution(s) to issue and determine any risk.
- Create plan of action, including any changes, testing, scheduling, and customer coordination required – submit to peer review.
- Implement/execute solution.
- Validate solution and issue resolution with customer.
- Provide updates for major incidents and root cause analysis in required time frame.
- Close ticket.
- Work with Management as needed to quickly resolve high severity issues.
- Projects (sponsored projects, developing solutions, etc. – e.g. infrastructure, major version update, tech refresh, major customer migration).
- Conduct project scoping with project sponsoring groups (using project plan driver) for increasingly complex projects.
- Drive project deliverables and meet project timelines.
- Raise governance issues and overcome obstacles.
- Maintenance, Updating, and Testing.
- Proactively monitor environment for issues or opportunities.
- Plan for maintenance and updates.
- Determine appropriateness and timing of vendor related upgrades.
- Plan for functional testing and product evaluation.
- Compliance and Performance Improvement.
- Develop strategy and create plans for compliance testing.
- Proactively identify opportunities to improve procedures and system performance.
- Attend customer technical review meetings.
- Identify and act on opportunities to improve overall team efficiency (e.g., provides training to other groups/teams).
- Provide input into functional goals and objectives.
- Review and manage increasingly complex team documentation activities, including:
- Systems documentation/diagrams.
- Run Books.
- Known issues, solutions, and workarounds.
- Write/update Knowledge Base articles.
Coaching and Mentoring
- Apply broad knowledge to consistently coach and mentor other engineers.
- Serve as “go to” resource within team and outside areas of responsibility as needed.
- Communicate (as needed to accomplish job accountabilities) clearly and professionally with technical and non-technical audiences through e-mail, phone conversations, or in person.
- Convey technical information at the right level, always keeping the customer (internal and external)
- experience in mind.
Audiences you will exchange information with:
- Immediate team: Brainstorm, prioritize work, confer on customer issues, clarify plans for scheduled work and ensure smooth handoffs between shifts.
- Customers: Respond to questions, clarify issues, provide status updates, inform of changes, and validate solutions.
- NOC team: Provide assistance/guidance on handling issues, clarify escalated issues, or de-escalate issues.
- Other engineering groups (network, storage, backup, E&A): Determine how to handle issues and coordinate action steps.
- Vendors: Seek information or support regarding product issues.
- Tech Lead and Managers: Update on day-to-day activities, seek guidance on issues, adjust
- Customer Experience Managers: Address particular customer needs, concerns, or feedback.
- Cross-functional Operations team: Regarding installations.
- Security: Ensure adherence to security best practices.
- Audit and Compliance: Discuss audit and compliance reports to resolve findings.
- Solutions Sales Engineering: Confer regarding technology and its supportability, etc. for customers.
- Product Manager: Look at trends in managed IT service space.
- Attend meetings as required.
- Adhere to Clients Engineering and Architecture standards and industry best practices
- Provide 24x7 support of customers and customer operating system infrastructure, up to and including on-call rotation.
- Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and 7-10 years of system engineering experience or commensurate
- (at least 10 years) experience
- Experience with specified OS systems (Linux and/or Windows) and virtualization tools/technologies
- (VMware) only OS or systems virtualization technology
- General Microsoft Office and Visio experience
- Linux/Unix – RHCE / SCSA / SCNA / LPIC
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE)
- Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP)
- VCP, VCAP certification
Job Location: Bangalore
Email : email@example.com