Position: Senior Storage Engineer
Ref. Code: IIS/AC-C/BM-PR/SSE1018
Installs, maintains and supports, and de-provisions storage for customers; involves hands on management of SAN storage arrays, SAN switches, and replication.
Essential Duties and responsibilities:
- Report on capacity and capacity issues.
- Perform core configuration when vendor comes in to do physical installation.
- Perform basic provisioning after setup is complete.
- Monitor emails for incoming issues, updates on issues, or questions from customers/colleagues.
- Monitor ticket management system (including incoming tickets and ticket updates).
- Advise and provide information to team regarding tickets in queue.
Issue and Incident Management Accountabilities
- Manage escalated/assigned/selected tickets to ensure SLA compliance and customer satisfaction (juggling multiple tickets as necessary); respond quickly/effectively to issues and take responsibility for seeing through to complete resolution.
- Manage complex issues escalated from less experienced engineers or major incidents with little or no guidance.
- Prioritize tickets based on severity/urgency, breadth of impact, time in queue, and specific customer, providing guidance to others on priorities and what constitutes a major issue.
- Deliver customer-focused support via phone calls and ticket-based communications.
- Update tickets.
- Follow up on assigned/selected tickets/issues that remain open, intervening as needed to direct/guide less experienced engineers.
- Route issues to appropriate group outside of Systems as needed with high degree of mastery with cross-functional or vendor escalations.
- Diagnose, trouble shoot and resolve external customer and Systems issues.
- Research issues using multiple sources as needed; resources include:
- Ticket history, internet research (e.g., Google), vendor documentation, internal documentation (Knowledge Base articles, Service Now, Wiki, SharePoint), books, web resources (Skype groups, on- line forums, etc.), advanced courses, or vendor provided training, etc.
- Immediate team colleagues, tech leads, colleagues in other (engineering and non-engineering) areas, vendors, managers, external network and/or customers.
- Follow standard ITIL practices to do the following (demonstrating orderly triage and mastery of OSI)
- Identify severity/urgency of issue (discovery).
- Identify core issue.
- Identify potential solution(s) to issue and determine any risk.
- Create plan of action, including any changes, testing, scheduling, and customer coordination required – submit to peer review.
- Implement/execute solution.
- Validate solution and issue resolution with customer.
- Provide updates for major incidents and root cause analysis in required time frame.
- Close ticket.
- Work with Management as needed to quickly resolve high severity issues.
Projects (sponsored projects, developing solutions, etc. – e.g. infrastructure, major version update, tech refresh, major customer migration)
- Conduct project scoping with project sponsoring groups (using project plan driver) for increasingly complex projects.
- Drive project deliverables and meet project timelines.
- Raise governance issues and overcome obstacles.
Maintenance, Updating, and Testing
- Proactively monitor environment for issues or opportunities.
- Plan for maintenance and updates.
- Determine appropriateness and timing of vendor related upgrades.
- Plan for functional testing and product evaluation.
Compliance and Performance Improvement
- Develop strategy and create plans for compliance testing.
- Proactively identify opportunities to improve procedures and system performance.
- Attend customer technical review meetings.
- Identify and act on opportunities to improve overall team efficiency (e.g., provides training to other groups/teams).
- Provide input into functional goals and objectives.
- Review and manage increasingly complex team documentation activities, including:
- Systems documentation/diagrams.
- Run Books.
- Known issues, solutions, and workarounds.
- Write/update Knowledge Base articles.
Coaching and Mentoring
- Apply broad knowledge to consistently coach and mentor other engineers.
- Serve as “go to” resource within team and outside areas of responsibility as needed.
- Communicate (as needed to accomplish job accountabilities) clearly and professionally with technical and non-technical audiences through e-mail, phone conversations, or in person.
- Convey technical information at the right level, always keeping the customer (internal and external)experience in mind.
Audiences you will exchange information with:
- Immediate team: Brainstorm, prioritize work, confer on customer issues, clarify plans for scheduled work and ensure smooth hand-offs between shifts.
- Customers: Respond to questions, clarify issues, provide status updates, inform of changes, and validate solutions.
- NOC team: Provide assistance/guidance on handling issues, clarify escalated issues, or de-escalate issues.
- Other engineering groups (network, storage, backup, E&A): Determine how to handle issues and coordinate action steps.
- Vendors: Seek information or support regarding product issues.
- Tech Lead and Managers: Update on day-to-day activities, seek guidance on issues, adjust
- Customer Experience Managers: Address particular customer needs, concerns, or feedback.
- Cross-functional Operations team: Regarding installations.
- Security: Ensure adherence to security best practices.
- Audit and Compliance: Discuss audit and compliance reports to resolve findings.
- Solutions Sales Engineering: Confer regarding technology and its supportability, etc. for customers.
- Product Manager: Look at trends in managed IT service space.
- Attend meetings as required.
- Adhere to CLIENT Engineering and Architecture standards and industry best practices
- Provide 24x7 support of customers and customer operating system infrastructure, up to and including on-call rotation.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and 7-10 years of system engineering experience or commensurate (at least 10 years) experience
- Experience with HP 3Par
- General Microsoft Office and Visio experience
- One or more of the storage products listed below
- EMC Clariion Storage, IBM DS Storage, EMC VNX and VMAX Storage, EMC Unity, NetApp, NexSAN, Dell Equallogic, Dell Compellent, Pure Storage
- Disaster Recovery tools and applications (RecoverPoint and/or other replication/migration utilities such as SANCopy, LUN Migrator, vSphere, vMotion)
- Multi Pathing Technology (PowerPath, MPIO)
- SAN FC switching and zoning (Brocade and Cisco)
- SAN FC, FCoE, and iSCSI NAS NFS, and CIFS
- Storage Management and Reporting Tools (EMC ViPR SRM and ViPR Controller)
- Storage Virtualization Technologies (EMC VPLEX) (Knowledge and understanding
- VMWare vSphere and/or Microsoft Hyper-V (knowledge and understanding)
Job Location: Bangalore
Email : email@example.com